Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mulan

I think that Mulan has been Westernized. While I do not think this is necessarily right, I do think that it helps a wider audience relate to it. On the other hand I think that by introducing a character like Ailin viewers could learn more about a different culture. In the Chinese culture what Mulan and Ailin did was inappropriate which is partly what makes it an interesting story. By Westernizing the story it kind of makes the characters' actions seem less significant. While I understand the motives of making the movie more Western I think it would be better to stick to the traditional story because it would allow for a different perspective to be seen.
I like both the movie Mulan and the book Ties that Bind Ties that Break and think both tell stories of breaking away from their culture. Having to change the story in order to accommodate the audience is unnecessary. I think people would appreciate seeing a traditional Chinese story, rather than a Westernized one.

No comments:

Post a Comment