Sunday, February 28, 2010

Fairy Tales

I do not think of fairy tales having a big impact on my childhood. I was read lots of stories that are fairy tales and others that have similar characteristics, but I have never thought of fairy tales as effecting my behavior or thoughts as a child. The fairy tales that stand out the most to me are Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, The Boy Who Cried Wolf, Hansel and Gretel, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel.
After reflecting on the morals that each of these stories teaches, I think they did help to reinforce these lessons. In many of these stories the characters find themselves in bad situations. However, had the characters known the lesson the story teaches they would not have found themselves in that position at all. The Boy Who Cried Wolf is a great example of this. The story teaches not to lie because when known as a liar, even when you tell the truth no one will be believe you. When the boy in the story finds himself in real danger, no one comes to help him. While I am sure I already knew not to lie, this story probably helped to emphasize the reasons why lying is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment